Can't play WMA files after getting new phone

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.
sarodrig

Can't play WMA files after getting new phone

Post by sarodrig »

I've been using this app for years through several phones without issues. I just got a Samsung Galaxy S21 running Android 11 and am now unable to play WMA files. Instead, I get a pop-up message that says "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file". MP3 files play just fine, and other apps are able to play my WMA files, so I don't think it was an issue with the file transfer from the old phone.

Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to solve?
sarodrig

Re: Can't play WMA files after getting new phone

Post by sarodrig »

Answered my own question -- I needed to go into Settings>Audio and then check the "DSP pack 5.4' box. Working now! :D
alank

Post by alank »

Thanks for this! Was in same situation--with new phone--and can play WMA files now.

BUT, as far as I can tell, PlayerPro doesn't use metadata--artist name, at least--from WMA files; and, in fact--again, as far as I can tell--it actually removes the artist name from the metadata for the [WMA] file.

I *really* don't want to have to convert all my WMA files to MP3--which [MP3, that is] have artist handled correctly.

Hope I'm just missing something.

Thanks again for help so far; and hoping for a bit more.
playerpro

Post by playerpro »

Hello,

Google phones use the default Android media scanner, which does not support well the parsing of wma file types (in order to bother Microsoft?).
Unfortunately, we can't do much about it, expect recommend not to use this file type.

Best Regards,
Tristan
johnpaul

Post by johnpaul »

Most of the new Android phones are shipped with the proprietary audio codecs built into the OS, which may not be installed on your computer at the time of purchase. For example, if your phone shipped with Android 4.0.3 or above, you might have to get the official Android USB driver and install it to be able to transfer files between your phone and Windows. To play WMA files on Android, you may need to install 3rd party apps. Sumatra pdf is one good one.
tsanfilippo

Post by tsanfilippo »

sarodrig wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:44 pm Answered my own question -- I needed to go into Settings>Audio and then check the "DSP pack 5.4' box. Working now! :D
Thank you, now player pro is playing all my music.
:D :D