Multiple problems with genres

You can post all your bug reports here. Make sure to include a maximum of information to help ease the investigation.
bradleypariah

Multiple problems with genres

Post by bradleypariah »

Problem #1 - PlayerPro fails to recognize genres that other music players understand. When viewing the Genre browser, the first several genres are numbers, rather than words. Similar songs/artists have been grouped together in these numbered folders (eg - comedians), so PlayerPro knows they are the same genre, but the genre text is a number in parenthesis - eg. "(57)" instead of "Comedy".

Problem #2 - When using the "Edit tags" feature from the Artist or Album browser, assigning an artist/album to a genre can inadvertently un-assign all other artists from that genre, and the only thing remaining in that genre will be the newest item the user just tagged.

Problem #3 - When adding a genre to the user's Favorites, not all artists (or albums) that are in that genre will show up in that playlist. (eg. - user has over a dozen "Hard Rock" artists. When opening "Hard Rock" from the Favorites list, there is only one artist/album in the list, whereas there are more artist/albums in the genre when viewed from the Genre browser.)

Problem #4 - When using the "Edit tags" feature from the Artist browser, sometimes the genre text field will change to a random genre while the user is still typing. (Eg- User is attempting to type "Djent" into an empty genre field, but after only typing "Dje", PlayerPro inserts the words "Modern Rock" into the text field, resulting in the user typing, "DjeModern Rock")

Problem #5 - When using the "Edit tags" feature, sometimes PlayerPro fails to overwrite the tag entirely. The user will see a message of "1 song has been updated," but the song continues to show in the old genre.

PlayerPro v5.23
Motorola One 5G Ace
PNY class 10 256GB Micro SD, all folder permissions granted
Android 10
ASI828277

Re: Multiple problems with genres

Post by ASI828277 »

bradleypariah wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:49 pm Problem #1 - PlayerPro fails to recognize genres that other music players understand. When viewing the Genre browser, the first several genres are numbers, rather than words. Similar songs/artists have been grouped together in these numbered folders (eg - comedians), so PlayerPro knows they are the same genre, but the genre text is a number in parenthesis - eg. "(57)" instead of "Comedy".

Problem #2 - When using the "Edit tags" feature from the Artist or Album browser, assigning an artist/album to a genre can inadvertently un-assign all other artists from that genre, and the only thing remaining in that genre will be the newest item the user just tagged.

Problem #3 - When adding a genre to the user's Favorites, not all artists (or albums) that are in that genre will show up in that playlist. (eg. - user has over a dozen "Hard Rock" artists. When opening "Hard Rock" from the Favorites list, there is only one artist/album in the list, whereas there are more artist/albums in the genre when viewed from the Genre browser.)

Problem #4 - When using the "Edit tags" feature from the Artist browser, sometimes the genre text field will change to a random genre while the user is still typing. (Eg- User is attempting to type "Djent" into an empty genre field, but after only typing "Dje", PlayerPro inserts the words "Modern Rock" into the text field, resulting in the user typing, "DjeModern Rock")

Problem #5 - When using the "Edit tags" feature, sometimes PlayerPro fails to overwrite the tag entirely. The user will see a message of "1 song has been updated," but the song continues to show in the old genre.

PlayerPro v5.23
Motorola One 5G Ace
PNY class 10 256GB Micro SD, all folder permissions granted
Android 10
Great
johnpaul

Post by johnpaul »

Genres are a strange thing. Some books are categorized in multiple different genres, and there are some books which don't fit into any particular genre. This is because there isn't really a clear-cut answer to what genres are. If books don't fit into one specific genre, they are usually just thrown around without any real order. Often, if a book is written by a certain author, the genre will be determined by the most popular genre of the author’s previous works. For instance, if an author has written a book about zombies, then all their other books will be put into the same genre. This is even if the other books have nothing to do with zombies.
Eldritch

Post by Eldritch »

I've just experienced Problem #2. In my case, when I used edit tag feature for genre, the entire remaining gene disappeared.
So for example changing one artist within the "Glam" genre to "Glam Rock" resulted in that artist being moved to glam rock but the entirety of "Glam" being removed.
Any ideas if there's a way to force PlayerPro to reinstate the missing genres?
bradleypariah

Post by bradleypariah »

Eldritch wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:06 amAny ideas if there's a way to force PlayerPro to reinstate the missing genres?
I don't believe a fix is coming, but I could be wrong. The developer(s) of this app don't spend much time on these forums anymore. We did get an app update only two months ago, so they're still alive I guess. However, I have started multiple threads on here over the years, and the only people that typically respond to me are bots, and nobody bothers to clean up obvious bot posts. Sigh.

I have learned to work with PlayerPro's shortcomings by ignoring the genre category altogether. I only use playlists these days, and I sometimes name playlists after the genre I think the songs belong in. Since the app can backup all your user data to Google Drive (including personal playlists), there's no real worry that all your work will ever go to waste. Put in the effort, and If you lose or upgrade your phone, just sign back in again.
Eldritch

Post by Eldritch »

Ok, thanks for the info. Shame, I thought perhaps this app might be different. I'll try your idea though. Appreciated.